Thursday, November 22

Authenticity and Radical Honesty

A little while ago, I decided that I was going to try and make my life more authentic. It's been very hard, but my recent move into a more technical role has been part of that. I think I'm closer to the role that suits me, rather than the type of job that I've always thought I 'ought' to be doing or 'ought' to be good at.

The Boy heard an interview with the Dr Brad Blandon. He advocates what he calls radical honesty - to tell the truth at all times. Not from some Kantian imperative, but because it is more psychologically healthy. This includes social 'white lies'. I don't want to give the impression that I'm a total miscreant, but I do lie (hard to believe I know), to myself as well as others. So I've decided to implement radical honesty for a week. I wonder if anyone will notice.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

Radical honesty is a blade of two edges and cuts both ways. You will need to be prepared to receive "wounds" yourself as a result.

MortimerBones said...

and remember not everyone likes honesty, and usually slash back - its not you. Its them!

Thats my excuse anyway.